Cameron Leach is an American percussionist and educator championing new music through high-energy performances and collaborations. An accomplished soloist and chamber musician, he has performed and given clinics across the United States, Canada, and throughout Europe. Recently, Cameron won the 2017 PAS International Solo Artist Competition, the 2017 Black Swamp Percussion Solo Competition, and served as Co-Principal of the World Percussion Group's 2017 European Tour. His latest performances include the debut of a new solo show, ELISION, the world premiere of Paul Lansky’s Metal Light for the Percussive Arts Society, and several concerts with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra as a substitute percussionist. In addition to his concertizing, he has a strong background in marching percussion, having won world titles with the Blue Devils Drum & Bugle Corps (2014) and the indoor percussion ensemble Rhythm X (2013). Cameron is a Presser Scholar, a Yamaha Young Performing Artist, and a member of the Percussive Arts Society.
The last four months have been an absolute whirlwind, so staying current with this website and on social media has been a challenge! I've been checking various projects, performances, and deadlines off my list, and after this Wednesday's performance of Jennifer Higdon's Percussion Concerto (FB event/livestream), I'll be back to updating everything that's fallen behind. Here's a recap of what's gone on recently:
- Successful consortium commission of Decay No. 2 by Matt Curlee, premiere forthcoming.
- Awarded Professional Development Grant from Eastman to compete in the PAS Solo Artist Competition.
- Won the PAS Solo Artist Competition and performed on the Winner's Showcase Concert.
- Performed with the Eastman Percussion Ensemble at PASIC, premiering Michael Burritt's MAG7.
- Performed a quartet by Bohuslav Martinu for cello, clarinet, horn, and snare drum.
- Won the Eastman Percussion Studio's Concerto Competition, to perform Higdon Concerto in February.
- Gave a presentation at Hilliard Memorial Middle School -- "Serious Music Can Be Serious Fun."
- First gig as a substitute percussionist with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.
- Finished semester-long internship with ROCmusic Collaborative.
- Lots of practice for beginning of 2018.
- Much needed two-week break.
- Played a run of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.
- Instagram Live talk with Drew Tucker from Malletlab.
- World premiere of Metal Light by Paul Lansky for PAS at the Rhythm! Discovery Center.
- Interview/concert preview of ELISION, with Jennifer Hambrick from Classical 101/WOSU Public Media.
- Quick studio talk about early-stage career development/creative vision at Capital University.
- Debut of ELISION, a solo show centered around new electroacoustic percussion music.
- Rehearsals with the Eastman Wind Ensemble for upcoming performance of Higdon Concerto.
- February 18, 2018